1.18.2007

Downtown Culver City: A Peek into Tinseltown's Golden Age

Even though I’ve lived in LA’s Westside for 7 years now, it was only this weekend that I stumbled upon Culver City’s retro downtown. ‘Stumble’ may not be the right word, considering my husband convinced me to go.

On the car ride over, I was a bit dubious. Somehow, I have this association in my mind that Culver City=strip malls and yummy Brazilian food. Culver City is where we come to buy furniture when needed or shop at Target. The area is also home to one of my favorite restaurants in LA, Café Brasil, but I’ll save that for another blog post. Historic and interesting? About as historic and interesting as an old strip mall, or so I thought.

About six blocks long, Culver City’s downtown manages to pack a lot into such a small area without seeming crammed. The area is bordered by Venice Blvd to the north, Hughes to the west and Canfield to the east.

Movie buffs and historians alike, and most especially movie buff historians, should enjoy checking out Culver Studios – an independent production facility around since 1918 – where some Gone with the Wind scenes were filmed. Check out the photo above...doesn't it look like Tara? Sadly, however, it only resembles Scarlett’s famed abode. There’s a plaque in front with a brief history of the place.

Culver Studios is not the only historic set of buildings. The Culver Hotel, built in 1924, is the centerpiece of the area. To me, it looks like a less daring version of New York’s Gridiron building, but it’s kind of cool to see the place where the munchkins in the Wizard of Oz cavorted when they weren’t filming.


Downtown’s west anchor is the Kirk Douglas Theatre, across the street from Sony Pictures Entertainment. Part of the Center Theater Group, this is the place to come catch a play without making the trek to downtown. Flanked by a diner that looks like it belongs on a 50s movie set, the sight could briefly transport you back to Hollywood’s Golden Age.


And if you get hungry with all the exploring, the place offers a mix of standard strip mall fare along with some trendy (and pricey) standouts. Ford’s Filling Station has generated a healthy buzz, but whether it’s due to Harrison Ford’s hunky son being the chef/owner or the quality of its New American cuisine is up for debate. If it’s French eats you’re pining for, check out the almost-too-adorably cute Bistro L’Hermitage and let me know what you think. It has received good reviews, but I have yet to eat there.

Last but not least, downtown Culver City boasts a Trader Joes. Not yet as crowded as its sister store in Santa Monica, you can quickly satisfy your chocolate raspberry stick craving or pick up some two-buck chuck at the end of your adventure.

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the Culver Studios were also part of Desilu Productions (i.e. owned by Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball). I'll have to check these spots out when I come back to LA.