1.26.2007

Westwood’s Hidden Farmers Market

As a UCLA student, I have fond memories of Thursday afternoons when I’d get my weekly fix of kettle corn, taro chips, and pomegranate juice at the Westwood Farmers Market. That’s why I was so sad to learn it had been shut down last year.


Thankfully, I can stop my moping because the market has reopened at the Vets Garden at the Veterans Administration. The plentiful parking and peaceful garden setting definitely make it more chill than the previous market. Another plus, the market benefits the Vets Garden, which helps veterans with rehabilitation, training, and employment programs.


The downside, however, is that the place is almost too chill. Maybe it’s the somewhat out-of-the-way location. In any case, there just don’t seem to be that many customers the three times I’ve gone. The vendors are friendly and in some cases, overeager. Heck, I’d be overeager too if I’d loaded up a truck and driven a distance to ply my wares only to be twiddling my thumbs.


My favorite spot is the table-filled glade at the back of the market. There, you can indulge in the tamales, BBQ, or Greek food on offer while listening to live music. Or, just forget your cares by taking in the trees and the burbling fountain.

Let’s try to keep this place going!

Getting There From the Intersection of Wilshire and Sepulveda:

  • North on Sepulveda
  • Left on Constitution (west) -opposite the Cemetery entrance
  • Just before Jackie Robinson Stadium…Turn right on Davis
  • You'll see the market in front of you. Turn right to park in “Getty Parking Lot” as directed

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary, I love this site!!!
- Daniela