1.17.2007

Main Street Farmers Market: Music, ponies, tamales and more

If you pressed me, I’d have to say Sunday is my second favorite day of the week (after Friday, of course!) all because of the Main Street Farmers Market in Santa Monica. With its glut of trendy boutiques and pricey spas, I generally try to steer clear of Main Street to avoid temptation, but Sundays are different.

Filled with food and crafts booths, live music, pony rides (not a typo!), and even fruits and veggies, the market has become a regular Sunday habit. While the term ‘Farmers’ Market’ conjures up rows of fresh fruit and leafy greens (at least in my head), this particular farmers’ market is more geared toward ready-to-eat foods. My personal recommendations are the Corn Maiden tamales (specifically the blue corn-mozzarella and the goat cheese ones) and the coconuts. That’s right, coconuts! If you do buy one, make sure you get your money’s worth. Ask them to hack your coconut in half after you’re done guzzling the coco water to get at the creamy insides.

Once I’ve secured my grub, I like to plant myself in a people-watching spot to check out the eclectic mix of tourists, hippie-types, and super yuppies strolling by. If you get one of the prime lawn spots, you should be able to enjoy the spectacle of the usual motley crew of toddlers dancing precariously, yet joyfully, to that week’s live tunes.

The only downside to this adventure is the parking. There are several blocks of metered lots south of the market along Neilson Way. But it still takes the patience of a saint, and more time than you might think, to find an open parking stall.

Digg this

No comments: