1.17.2007

Zanzibar: Semi-exotic, relaxed nightclub in Santa Monica

Living just a few blocks away from Zanzibar, I walk pass the plain, chocolate brown-colored club on the corner of 5th and Arizona almost daily. Unlike its Hollywood counterparts across town, the club is nothing special to look at and lacks the glitzy attitude. Courteous bouncers thankfully feel no need to keep patrons waiting, as they efficiently collect the $10 cover and point people to the door. Once inside, I was surprised by the exotic motif and well-stocked bar. Wall lamps and silky curtains made the space seem more intimate, but the dance floor was plenty large to get my groove on without feeling claustrophobic.

What I really appreciated was the lack of meat-market vibe and the fact that people really seemed there to just dance and chill with their friends. I also liked the diversity of the people. While most were in their 20s and 30s, I noticed a couple of middle-agers shaking their groove-things with happy abandon. Going on a Friday night, I experienced Club Bossanova, which meant I was treated to some world-class DJs. I don’t know if you all are frequent NPR listeners, but I’m an addict and the host of Club Metropolis – Jason Bentley – is one of the resident DJs. If you’re into an eclectic mix of music like me, you need to give it a shot.

Check out this link for a sampling of the music played by Bentley on his Club Metropolis radio show to get a taste of what you might hear. Check out the Zanzibar site if I whetted your appetite for a chill dancing night on the Westside.

Digg this

No comments: